Joseph A. Corsmeier is an “AV” rated attorney practicing in Clearwater, Florida. He practices primarily in the areas of: attorney disciplinary defense before The Florida Bar, attorney admission matters before the Florida Board of Bar Examiners, and professional license and disciplinary matters before the Boards of the State of Florida.
He also provides expert analysis and opinion on attorney ethics, conflict of interests, and other attorney and professional malpractice issues and has testified as an expert in both Federal and Florida courts. He served as an Assistant State Attorney in the Sixth Judicial Circuit from 1986 to 1990 where he prosecuted felonies and later served as Bar Counsel for The Florida Bar’s Department of Lawyer Regulation for 8 years. He also practices in the areas of estate planning and Medicaid qualification, workers’ compensation, and labor law.
Mr. Corsmeier currently authors various articles for a number of legal publications as well as his Ethics Alert Blog. He has spoken at numerous local and state-wide seminars on topics including: ethics and professionalism, law office management, and conflicts of interest. He was an instructor of paralegal ethics for Rollins College until the Tampa campus closed.
He received his undergraduate degree from Florida State University and his J.D. from Mercer University and is admitted to practice in all Florida Courts, the Supreme Court of the United States, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and the Middle District of Florida. He is a member of The Florida Bar, American Bar Association, the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, and the Clearwater and St. Petersburg Bar Associations.
- November 2008 – Present – Law Office of Joseph A. Corsmeier, P.A.
- September 2006 – November 2008 – Albinson & Corsmeier, P.A.
- September 2003 – August 2006 – Law Office of Joseph A. Corsmeier, P.A.
- March 1998 – August 2003 – Attorney/Partner, Tew, Barnes & Atkinson, L.L.P.
- January 1990 – March 1998 – Bar Counsel, The Florida Bar, Department of Lawyer Regulation
- February 1986 – December 1989 – Assistant State Attorney, Sixth Judicial Circuit, Florida
- September 1985 – January 1986 – Attorney, law firm of Hopping, Boyd, Green and Sams
Professional Memberships, Associations, and Achievements:
- Member, Supreme Court of the United States Bar
- Member, United States District Court, Middle District of Florida Bar
- Member, United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit Bar
- Member, American Bar Association (Professionalism Section)
- Member, Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyer
- Member, Clearwater Bar Association (1986-present) (Board of Directors 2004-2008, President-Elect 2008-2009, President 2009-2010 term)
- St. Petersburg Bar Association (1987-present)
- Pro bono, Community Law Program: Certificates of Appreciation for “Outstanding dedication in providing pro bono legal services to the indigent of Pinellas County” 1995, 1996, 1997, and 1998
- Marquis’ Who’s Who In American Law, 14th Edition, 2005
- The Florida Bar, Professional Ethics Committee, (2007-present)
- Law Office Management Advisory Services, Inc. Advisory Board (2007-present)
- The Florida Bar, Law Student Education and Admissions To The Bar Committee (2005-2006)
- Juris Doctor
Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia
Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, Bachelor of Science, Communication Studies/Pre-law track